Friday, November 28, 2008

Special Thankks to Spellbinders

"We are fully alive to the extent that the heart is aware of its treasures."–Thornton Wilder

Spellbinder Friends:

I can’t believe I am having this much fun in my life as I am soon approaching my 80th birthday.
A large part is my association with all of you in Spellbinders. So allow me to express my deep appreciate to our pioneer founding “mothers” this weekend, and to all who are responsible for keeping this wonder-filled activity alive and going well.

When I started this a few years ago, I did it out of sense of obligation, sharing and adventure. I had no idea as the activity grew on me and I grew into it that it would produce such joy-filled reward. I look forward to continuing this as long as I am able.

Couple of points. I am giving up telling at Deep Springs Elementary simply because I am over-stretched after taking on Shriners Hospital with Liberty, Squires and Cassidy. The librarian there is welcoming so if one of you would like to take this on, please call me for name and tel. Number. I can be reached at 293-5300 or (cell) 576-6512

Last year we established a Lexington Spellbinders web blog, an online newspaper, for resources, news, and between meeting updates. The blog has posted many storytelling references with the help of Arthur Abshire. If you want to participate there are two ways. You can join the blog to post items of interest yourself, or just be reminded that there is a new news item posted there. Since we are too easily overwhelmed by spam and unwanted messages today, I will need to hear from you whether you wish to be part of either, nor not.

I have just posted there a marvelous History of Storytelling, which has just begun to fascinate me. We storytellers and myth-makers were the agents who created human culture starting about 100,000 years ago. It was oral storytelling alone that created and nourished the meanings of life for another 90,000 years until the advent of writing about 5,000 years ago. We come from and inherit a long rich welcoming tradition that has nourished the power of imagination and the human spirit since the very beginning. Another excellent introduction is Karen Armstrong. A Brief History of Mythmaking.

Thank you all. I am enormously indebted to this group for much joy.

Paschal Baute
Thanksgiving Day, 2008

If you simply want to visit this Lexington Spellbinder resource occasionally or whenever, make a bookmark my home website, click on blogs (Left panel) and scan down to almost the bottom of the blogs for Lexington Spellbinders Storytelling blog, and click there on the title, which will bring up the latest post. Website: www.paschalbaute.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home